Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Starting 2014

After much back-and-forth debate about the slipperiness of the icy snow, I did take Sherm for a ride this morning. Just some ring work, but it was at least a ride, any ride; work, any work, this winter is seeming like a major accomplishment.  So we did that.


Then after barn chores, and a look at the weather forecast for the next 36 hours (horrors!), I hauled out the cross country skis I used to use to get myself through the winter before there were horses in my life. Thought I'd give them a go, since we have alllllll this flat, open field to enjoy them on.


In the spirit of full disclosure, I also got them out to give myself the opportunity to work out a bit more. Did the 300,000 mile / 45 year bloodwork last week, and the results came back a bit high in the cholesterol department, and a bit deficient in the Vitamin D department.  So I'm getting clogged and need to return to the oatmeal and broccoli I've been missing, in addition to getting some more aerobic exercise.  In addition to the blood chemistry, I can see a full teaching load last semester is showing up in my butt, so if the weather is going to shut down my horsework, or keep it at a less-than-aerobic level, it's time to get skiing.

Sherm thought it was interesting!  He came running from across the field to see what I was doing.


Then he thought he'd try to play with me...


Then he thought it was too freaky, and he took off...


But when I got around the side of the field, he came back...


He checked the skis out...


...decided they didn't taste good enough to stick around...


...and went on about his horsey business...


Not a bad first day of the new year.

Hope everyone out there is having fun with their ponies!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! Mine are waiting for this storm to hit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) not looking forward to it at all! Cold OR snow would be fine. But both? Phooey!

      Delete